The Grande Old Dame of the Penang ferries. Built in Singapore in 1948, it was a one of a kind — it could dock at both the old terminals (Mitchell Pier & Victoria Pier) and the new (1959) terminals (Sultan Abdul Halim & Raja Tun Uda).
The Pulau Pinang was subtly different from the other 4, which were built in Hong Kong in 1959, viz., the Pulau’s Aman, Tioman, Langkawi and Pangkor. It had wide gaping ‘mouths’ at both ends (maybe like Ronald McDonald’s) and, had only a single funnel (smoke stack). The other 4 had twin funnels (though one of the twin was a dummy).
Compared to the current generation ones, this ferry was certainly more elegant-looking.
But for some uncanny reason, its engines seemed to resonate with the structure, causing vibrations that occurred every one to two minutes.